Certified translations


As a fully qualified member of the ITI, I can offer ‘certified’ translations. The UK does not have a ‘sworn translator’ system, but I can provide a ‘certificate of accuracy’ to accompany your translation. This serves to identify me as a professional translator and certifies that the translation is correct to the best of my knowledge and ability.

When might you need a ‘certified’ translation?

  • UK visa or passport application (supporting documents)
  • applying to study at a UK university
  • getting married or divorced in the UK
  • changing your name on official documents

What kind of documents might need a certified translation?

  • marriage or civil partnership certificates
  • divorce certificates
  • birth or death certificates
  • koseki-tohon (Japanese family register)
  • no impediment to marry certificates
  • bank statements
  • payslips
  • tax returns
  • property deeds
  • tenancy agreements
  • company registration documents
  • driving licenses
  • academic references
  • degree certificates
  • transcripts

Please contact me for further information or to request a quote.


Recent Posts

What is a certified translation?

Strictly speaking, the UK doesn’t have a certified translation system – unlike other countries, such as Germany.

But, don’t panic! Perhaps you have been asked to provide a “certified translation” as part of your UK visa application or application to study at a UK university? A translator with professional credentials will be able to provide the documents that you need to effectively “certify” your translation.

The Institute of Translation & Interpreting is the UK’s only independent professional association of practising translators and interpreters. Qualified Members are entitled to use the designation “MITI” and are provided with special seals to attach to certified translations. The translator will also supply a declaration stating that the translation is true and accurate to the best of their knowledge.

On rare occasions, you may be asked for a “sworn translation”. In this case, you should first of all check that it is actually a sworn translation that you need – rather than a certified translation (the two are easily confused). This involves the translation being sworn in front of a solicitor.

In both cases, the swearing or certifying serves only to identify the translator and hold him/her accountable. It is not a guarantee of quality as such, but does lend weight to the translation.

Standard certification is sufficient for the UK Border Agency, Home Office, universities, Passport Office, DVLA, embassies/consulates, and other official institutions.