I started out as a freelance translator in 2003, following an internship as a project manager with a small translation company in Berlin. This practical experience was then consolidated with an MA in Applied Translation Studies (Leeds University; with distinction) in 2006. This master’s degree also provided a firm grounding in the main industry-standard CAT tools.

Next stop was Japan, having won a Japanese government scholarship to carry out a research project on translated literature at Tsuda College in Tokyo. After writing up, and passing the highest level of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT level 1), I worked in-house as a Japanese to English proofreader and translator at a large Tokyo-based translation company and then at the Japanese education ministry in Tokyo.

I moved back to the UK in 2011 to set up full-time as a freelance Japanese to English translator. My first big project was the jointly authored translation of a textbook on the revised Japanese Companies Act.

My extensive translation experience is backed up by continuous professional development in law and legal translation. I recently passed the Common Professional Examination at Brighton University with distinction, which is equivalent to a law degree (LLB). I have also taken modules in company law from City University’s MA in Legal Translation, modules in contract law and client care skills from the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives, and attended workshops on marital breakdown and landlord and tenant law. I keep my translation skills up-to-date by attending relevant seminars, reading industry journals and conducting private study.


Recent Posts

What is a certified translation?

Strictly speaking, the UK doesn’t have a certified translation system – unlike other countries, such as Germany.

But, don’t panic! Perhaps you have been asked to provide a “certified translation” as part of your UK visa application or application to study at a UK university? A translator with professional credentials will be able to provide the documents that you need to effectively “certify” your translation.

The Institute of Translation & Interpreting is the UK’s only independent professional association of practising translators and interpreters. Qualified Members are entitled to use the designation “MITI” and are provided with special seals to attach to certified translations. The translator will also supply a declaration stating that the translation is true and accurate to the best of their knowledge.

On rare occasions, you may be asked for a “sworn translation”. In this case, you should first of all check that it is actually a sworn translation that you need – rather than a certified translation (the two are easily confused). This involves the translation being sworn in front of a solicitor.

In both cases, the swearing or certifying serves only to identify the translator and hold him/her accountable. It is not a guarantee of quality as such, but does lend weight to the translation.

Standard certification is sufficient for the UK Border Agency, Home Office, universities, Passport Office, DVLA, embassies/consulates, and other official institutions.